Many older men suffering from low testosterone report improved energy levels, mood and sexual desire after treatment with testosterone replacement. If testosterone is low, shouldn’t it be replaced? – Because it is not so simple. A low testosterone level itself does not require treatment. Testosterone replacement therapy can have side effects and long-term risks, while the benefits are unknown. Only men who have symptoms of low testosterone levels may consider substitution treatment. Medical consultation is the only way to find out if this treatment is beneficial or not (home).
Low testosterone: subtle symptoms
Symptoms of low testosterone levels are sometimes obvious but they can often be subtle. Testosterone levels naturally decrease in men as they age, and symptoms can appear gradually.
Symptoms of low testosterone include:
– Low sexual desire (decreased libido);
– Erectile dysfunction;
– Fatigue and low energy levels;
– Difficulty in concentrating, even for simple tasks;
– Decreased self-worth.
If a man has symptoms of low testosterone levels and tests show low levels of testosterone, the doctor may propose treatment. For millions of men who have low testosterone levels but no symptoms, no treatment is currently recommended.
Types of testosterone supplements
Testosterone replacement therapy is available in many forms. Any of these can improve testosterone levels:
– Cutaneous patch (trans-dermal): they can be worn on the arm or upper body region. Apply once a day;
– Gels: testosterone is absorbed directly through the skin and the gel is applied once a day. Some forms of presentation have a metered pump which measure the quantity prescribed by a doctor;
– Oral patches: There are special tablets that stick to the gums upper incisors. Applied twice a day, they continuously release testosterone into the bloodstream via the oral tissues;
– Injections and implants: Testosterone can be injected directly into muscle or as pellets implanted in soft tissues. The body gradually absorbs the testosterone into the bloodstream.
Why not a simple testosterone pill? There are available oral testosterone solutions. However, some experts believe oral testosterone can have a negative effect on the liver. Using other methods, such as cutaneous patches, gels, tablets or injections with oral dispersion, the supplement bypasses the liver and makes testosterone to go directly into the bloodstream.
The benefits of testosterone replacement therapy
What could be the effects of testosterone therapy? It is impossible to predict because every man is different. Many men report improved energy levels, sexual desire and quality of erections. Testosterone also improves bone density, muscle development and help weight loss and also insulin secretion in some men.
Men also reported an improvement in mood after the substitution treatment. If these effects are barely visible or very obvious, this depends only on the individuality of each patient.